Looking for your next DIY project? Perhaps you need some inspiration on how to make your house a home? Our growing library of how-to's, DIY tutorials, and home improvement articles are here to guide you through your DIY adventures.
Are you an avid do-it-yourselfer? Or maybe you have discovered a passion for a new craft or hobby? Keep up the good work!
At Shop-O-Rama, we believe more people than ever are enjoying the physical, social and mental health benefits of DIY gardening, construction and crafting, as well as home improvements and repairs around the house.
1. Satisfaction – Ask any experienced DIYer what they like most about doing home improvements or working on hobbies, and they’ll tell you the same thing – it’s the satisfaction of seeing the results of their hard work, especially if it was a big challenge. Even if the project didn’t turn out 100%, they still feel a great sense of accomplishment. Any work you do yourself is a tangible reminder of the effort you put into it.
2. It feels good – Whatever DIY challenges you decide to take on, using your hands, learning new skills and fully immersing yourself in creating something can make a positive difference in your life. Being occupied with a project that demands your full attention gives you less time to think about problems that can make you feel anxious. Simply put, DIYing feels great!
3. Gets you offline – There is something very therapeutic and soothing about creating something with your hands. Although you may need to watch a few DIY instructional videos and read a few blogs to pick up some tips, you’ll soon find yourself too busy doing the work to spend much time scrolling through social media. Staying off your phone or laptop for a while lets you get back in touch with the world around you and fully enjoy the moment.
4. You’re always learning – Tackling new and different types of DIY projects keeps your mind fresh and agile. Life is so much more interesting when we keep learning new things. The skills you gain with each project will help you to be more knowledgeable and prepared to take on even bigger challenges in the future.
5. Self-sufficiency – Learning how to make your own repairs will get you out of your comfort zone and increase your sense of self-reliance. Imagine being able to assess and repair your toilet or replace a faucet rather than calling the plumber right away! Of course, there are times when you need the expertise of a licensed plumber, pipefitter, electrician or another skilled tradesperson, for complex problems and projects. Learning the basics of home maintenance and repair will help you gain a greater sense of security and reduce the worry should something break down.
6. Gets you moving! – Another benefit of DIYing is the physical activity that comes with most home improvement projects. Gardening, for example, gives you a full-body workout, and you have the added benefit of being outside in fresh air, sunshine and nature. Most DIY tasks involve physical movement: lifting, reaching, sawing or hammering wood, standing or squatting. All this activity results in a fitter body and a healthier brain, which helps to keep depression and anxiety at bay.
7. Develops problem-solving skills – DIYers learn very quickly how to be resourceful and figure out how to solve those tricky problems that inevitably come up. Learning how to look at a problem in different ways to find a solution is a useful skill to develop. Learning to persevere and figure out solutions is a great skill you can apply to all aspects of your life.
8. Saves you money – Knowing how to repair or construct something for your home or garden can help you save money. If you hire someone, the costs can run high as there will be a service call fee in addition to the repair cost. It is also often difficult to get people to come in for one small job. Doing small or easy repairs, and building projects yourself will save you money, which helps relieve some stress, especially in times of rising prices.
9. Mentally escape! – DIYing lets you escape to another world for a while, and leave your everyday cares and worries behind. Starting a new hobby or other DIY project lets you use your imagination while working at something you enjoy. Being totally engrossed in your project frees your mind to be even more creative.
10. Get social! – DIYing is often a peaceful and solitary activity, depending on what you are working on. You can also invite family members and friends to help, especially for work that requires at least two people for safety to lift large and heavy items. Working together towards a goal, whether creating a gazebo or vegetable garden for your community or meeting weekly with fellow crafters, the social benefits are huge. You may even become the go-to gardening guru in your neighborhood or be a source of valuable information for friends and neighbors who are doing basic home repairs. DIYing can also open your eyes to a whole new online community where you can make friends, swap ideas, and offer support.
Give DIYing a try and see how it impacts your well-being. You may be surprised!
If you need more information or have questions, visit Shop-O-Rama. Our team is always ready to help you with what you need. We're here to assist you in any way we can.
Disclaimer: The information and resources in these articles and on this website are available for informational and educational purposes only. The articles provided on this website are created with every reasonable effort to ensure completeness and accuracy. In doing so, the article writers, publishers, and the business that this website represents assume no responsibility for errors, omissions, or opposed interpretation of the articles and under no circumstance will these parties be held liable for any direct, indirect and/or consequential damages of any kind incurred from undertaking tasks outlined in the articles or on this website. In addition, it is suggested that readers check by-laws, zoning laws and building codes of your local area and country.
Shop-O-Rama - Draffenville
(includes Clothing Boutique)
Shop-O-Rama - Calvert City
© 2019-2023 All Rights Reserved. Donohoo Enterprises, Inc.: Two SHOP-O-RAMA locations to serve you in Draffenville & Calvert City